Tuesday 25 February 2014

CPL (ME)/IR

So it's all done - basic training is complete! What a journey. My first CTC flying lesson was on May 8th last year and now under 10 months later I have the coveted Multi-engine CPL with Instrument Rating. It's certainly been challenging a lot of the time but there have been fantastic times too. I think perhaps the greatest experience has been the friendships that have formed on the course and all the excellent instructors and other staff that I have worked with here at CTC.

The IR test itself didn't go quite as smoothly as hoped - unfortunately I only got a partial pass as I was defeated by programming the GPS equipment for the RNAV approach at Shoreham when ATC unexpectedly cleared me to do an NDB hold in the middle of it. However, the rest of the test went very well so I only had to go up on Monday to do one NDB approach here at Bournemouth - the most expensive half hour of my life, but worth it.

Today has been all about the sign-out process, trying to reconcile all the different categories of flying hours that I have accrued with what the CAA want to see on the application form. I think it is sorted now and an interview tomorrow with the Chief Flying Instructor will confirm that.

For these two days we are also doing a short course called Upset Recovery training. This is at the insistence of BA and covers some more advanced stall recovery situations and how to best manage energy in the aircraft above and beyond the basic stall recovery. A little bit more aerobatic than I am used to (we had a 30 degrees nose-up attitude at one point today) but all valuable experience.

To finish with here are a few shots of my training from Bournemouth - next on the agenda is the Jet Orientation Course at Southampton at the end of March!





Alderney from the NDB hold




Beautiful sunset from FL060 on the way to Oxford




Even Coventry looking pretty on the way back from Oxford




Poor Somerset looking very flooded on the way to Cardiff





One of my colleagues landing from a perfectly executed ILS back to Bournemouth








No comments:

Post a Comment